Sunday, May 5, 2013

My Cheatin' Heart

When it all comes down it, I really am quite a loyal fellow... most of the time.

Damn qualifiers. Damn germane qualifiers.

You see, the thing is, every once in awhile situations will arise that expand my sporting world in ways I would have originally thought impermissible.

I'll just come right out and say it. I sometimes find myself rooting for the Minnesota Twins and Chelsea.

Look, I can explain...

The Twins thing is really a matter of convenience. I live in "Twins Territory" so those are the baseball games most often on television. I'm a firm believer that any baseball, even inferior American League baseball, is better than no baseball, so I've watched a lot of Twins broadcasts over the last six years. I know the players and a bit about the ins and outs of the organization.

Now, it isn't quite the same as my love affair with my hometown Cardinals. I don't get pissy when the Twins lose, and I certainly haven't forgiven the Twins cheating their way to the 1987 World Series title. However, there is no way around it, I'm pleased when they do well, and, most of the time, I want them to do well. Whatever it is between me and the Twins, it ain't love. Maybe it is a trashy casual fling.

The Chelsea thing is a little more complicated.

Once again, don't get me wrong, I'm fully committed to Notts County. They are my number one English team and that won't change.

However..... It's a classic long distance relationship. As long as the Magpies are toiling in the depths of third tier English football, I almost never get to see them play. Oh, I follow along via the BBC website but, of course, I want to watch some games on television. Those games are Premiereship games and that is where Chelsea enters the picture.

Now, it isn't because I have any natural affinity for Chelsea. I really kinda don't. However, I loathe and despise Manchester United, and rather than adopt a strict ABU (Anybody But United) stand I have found myself choosing Chelsea as my preferred "anybody." I prefer them because I know they have the financial wherewithal to potentially challenge United year in and year out.

The net effect is not only do I root for Chelsea during head-to-head matchups with Man U. (like today - yay Chelsea), but also whenever Chelsea plays anyone else because I don't want them dropping points they need to stay close to United. That, obviously, didn't work this season - the reason why the Premier League sucked hard this year - but it has served in the past.

It is also true that Chelsea is on television all the freakin' time, so I have lots of chances to identify with the team, even though its beginning to make me feel unclean.

C'mon Notts. Get your ass at least into the Championship. Soon. I want to come home to you....honestly I do.

No comments: